ARP/ACSM Certified Ringside Physician
The American College of Sports Medicine in collaboration with the Association for Ringside Physicians has developed the ARP/ACSM Certified Ringside Physician (CRP) certification. A CRP is experienced in ringside protocol and are instrumental in the care before, during and after the bout. The CRP has a basic understanding in various fields of medicine, which include, but are not limited to, wound care, orthopaedics, neurology, cardiology, dermatology, infectious disease, emergency medicine and even psychology.
Requirements to pursue certification:
1. He/She must have a M.D., D.O., or foreign equivalent degree .
2. He/She must have provided ringside event coverage for a minimum of three professional cards with at minimum of
fifteen total fights or five amateur cards with a minimum of 30 total fights.
3. He/She must be licensed and be in good standing with the licensing body authority, (i.e. State, Country) in which
he/she is a ringside physician in for a minimum of two years. This includes being up to date on required CME by his/her
licensing body authority.
4. He/She must provide two forms of recommendation from the following sources: State/Country athletic board
commissioner, local boxing committee, or another ringside physician. Please use the forms provided on the ARP/ACSM
5. If applicable he/she must be board certified in his/her primary medical specialty (e.g., Family Medicine, Emergency
Medicine, Orthopaedics, etc.).
Exam Registration (please read carefully)
First-time candidates must submit all of the following to be considered for the examination:
1. Application (CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD APPLICATION)
2. Copy of your medical school diploma
3. Current state/country medical license
4. Two competed recommendation forms (included in the application form)
5. A completed clinical experience documentation form, to be completed by state/country athletic commission (see Application form).
6. Copy of Board Certification Certificate of documentation of board eligibility. If this is not applicable, a written explanation of why not.
Once approved a candidate will be provided with a voucher number and can register to take exam, by visiting www.pearsonvue.com/acsm.
Only after the Ringside Physician Certification Application is submitted and approved can a candidate register for an exam. A voucher will be sent by email. ACSM members have the opportunity to receive a discount towards their exam fee.